While there has been no formal request from the Guyana Government for funding, the United States (US) stands ready to provide aid to help with the influx of Venezuelan migrants here.Currently, Guyana is benefiting from US funding through the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), and the International Organisation for Migrant (IOM) to facilitate the thousands of Venezuelans fleeing their homeland.US Ambassador to Guyana, Sarah-Ann LynchHowever, according to newly appointed US Ambassador to Guyana, Sarah-Ann Lynch, there is no direct bilateral arrangements between Guyana and the US for such aids.Nevertheless, she said, if approached by the Guyana Government, she is willing to explore the options available. In fact, Ambassador Lynch noted that she even indicated this during her engagements with the various Government officials.“There has not been a request for (bi-lateral assistance) as yet but I have had some conversations with the Government… What I have offered is that I am happy to have the embassy explore this issue and have additional conversations if they would like assistance,” the US diplomat said during a recent interview with a group of local journalists earlier this week.Last month, the US Agency for International Development (USAID) injected some US$1.6 million to Trinidad and Tobago to assist with Venezuelans moving there.Thus far in Guyana, there are approximately 5800 Venezuelan migrants – double the amount recorded six months ago – and this number is expected to increase daily.On this note, Ambassador Lynch noted that while the situation is not a “serious concern” to the Guyana Government as yet, it may soon become one due to the heightened influx of migrants from the neighbouring Spanish-speaking country.“In the past, the majority of Venezuelans have been on the border. But a few weeks ago, there was a vessel with about 140 Venezuelans that came right into Georgetown. So that is an indicator that maybe things are worsening a little bit,” she noted, while recently she met a Venezuelan working in a restaurant in Berbice, which is quite a long way from the border.The US diplomat pointed out that basic facilities in Guyana, including key services such as health, education and even job opportunities will become stretched.“I know particularly the health area is being stressed because the Venezuelans coming into Guyana have not had decent health care in several years… So that might be a particular area of concern… But there are all sorts of (other) things to be met and it is something for Guyana to watch,” she asserted.Nevertheless, the US envoy lauded Guyana for its generosity in accepting these persons who are fleeing worsened living conditions back home.“I want to applaud the country for its generosity in accepting the Venezuelans without blinking an eye and I think that has been a tremendous help for those people,” Ambassador Lynch noted.In recent years, Venezuela has been experiencing worsened economic and political turmoil. In fact, the deteriorated political situation has given birth to a parallel Government, putting the nation into unchartered territory – with two Presidents. However, many countries around the world now recognises Opposition Leader Juan Guiadó as the interim President following a 2018 elections, which re-elected President Nicolás Maduro. However, a majority of the international community has deemed those elections as fraudulent.Speaking on this during Monday’s interview at the US Embassy, Ambassador Lynch said her country is worried about the South American country.“It has been a declining situation for years. The Maduro regime had a so-called election in May 2018. It was fraudulent, coercive, there was electoral rigging… So there has been pressure put on the Maduro regime for from the international community for Mr Maduro to step aside and allow his country to be rebuilt and his citizens to regain their place in the region, and to feed their families. There are basic needs that are not being met right now in Venezuela,” the US diplomat stressed.However, the support of these countries for Guiadó has resulted in Maduro – who still enjoys control over the courts, Central Bank and the military – breaking diplomatic ties with several nations including the US.But in a recent turn of events, Maduro has said his country is now willing to accept international aid following a meeting with the Red Cross Chief, Peter Maurer.Maduro took to his Twitter on Tuesday saying, “We confirm our readiness to establish cooperation mechanisms for international assistance and support,” but noted that the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) should respect the Venezuelan legal order.The current crisis engulfing Venezuela is now in its fifth consecutive year and according to a new United Nations report, almost a quarter of the once-wealthy South American nation’s population is in dire need of help, with a whopping 94 per cent Venezuelan living in poverty.International media reports say the internal report highlights that some seven million Venezuelans “or about 24 per cent of the total population currently living in the country, are estimated to have urgent priority needs for assistance and protection.”
Chelsea chiefs will meet with Pep Guardiola’s brother on Monday and believe they can tempt the former Barcelona boss to take over at Stamford Bridge, according to The People.It is claimed that the club will tell Guardiola he would be under no pressure to win trophies during his first two seasons in charge.Meanwhile, Roberto Di Matteo is a front runner for the Aston Villa manager’s job, the Sunday Mirror say.Abramovich is tipped to overlook Di Matteo.There has been speculation that the Italian, who has a house in the Midlands following his spell as West Brom boss, is interested in taking over at Villa because of the uncertainty surrounding his future at Chelsea.It is claimed that there is now a strong possibility that he will succeed the sacked Alex McLeish.The Sunday Mirror also suggest that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is determined to appoint Guardiola even if he has to wait a year, and that Ryan Bertrand is in line for a new contract.Click here for Sunday’s Chelsea quizShould Di Matteo be given the Chelsea job? Click here to voteSee also: Newton in the dark over Chelsea futureDi Matteo and Newton must stay, says former Chelsea manFollow West London Sport on Twitter Find us on Facebook
23 February 2012Business has welcomed Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan’s 2012 Budget, saying it rightly emphasized the need for a collaborative effort from all South Africans in working towards a growing, inclusive, job-rich economy against the backdrop of a weak global economic outlook.Business Unity South Africa (Busa) described the Budget as credible, broadly balanced and confidence-building, saying it was pleased with the central priority the Budget placed on the expanded infrastructure programme.“This initiative should not only aid in building modern infrastructure, but will also reduce poverty, create decent work and expand employment opportunities,” Busa said in a statement on Thursday.Need to be globally competitiveBusa was further pleased with the emphasis on the need for South Africa to be globally competitive, further tax relief for small business and micro-enterprises, and a simplified tax regime for SMMEs.It said the small and emerging business sector had the greatest potential for job creation.“We welcome as business additional allocations of R55.9-billion over the next three years and an additional R9.5-billion for an economic support package.“We also welcome the 43 major infrastructure projects and further detail on how they will be funded. In this vein, we look forward to the infrastructure summit which the President is planning to convene soon,” said Busa.Sars commended for raising R739-billionThe Banking Association of South Africa commended the South African Revenue Service for raising R739-billion under difficult economic conditions. “The national Budget has, for the first time, passed R1-trillion, highlighting the significant expenditure by government,” it said.The association said Gordhan had demonstrated visionary, honest and practical leadership.In his speech, Gordhan commented on the high banking costs in South Africa. The association said that, while increasing competition in the sector was leading to a more efficient sector with lower costs, had to be noted that South Africa had high broadband costs, costs of protecting cash and significant compliance costs.It said it was working with National Treasury in this regard.Dividends tax rate increase ‘a shock’Des Kruger, Director: Tax at Webber Wentzel law firm said that the increase in the dividends tax rate had come as a shock, given that all previous announcements and the law as it stands at present indicated a 10% rate.“The proposed 50% increase in the dividends tax rate to 15% so late in the day will no doubt cause considerable administration burdens on those companies and regulated intermediaries that have to account for the tax,” said Kruger.He added that foreigners owning property in South Africa would be adversely affected by the increase in inclusion capital gains tax (CGT) rates, because non-residents are required to pay CGT on the disposal of any immovable property owned by them in South Africa.However, Kruger did welcome the proposal to allow a deduction for interest incurred on the acquisition of shares to be deductible in certain circumstances.PKF chartered accountants and business advisers was surprised by the unexpected increase in the rate at which the new Dividends Tax was being levied at 15% – when 10% had been anticipated – and the increase in the rate of capital gains tax (CGT) from 10% to 13.3% for individuals, from 14% to 18.6% for companies and from 20% to 26.7% for trusts.‘High-income earners targeted’Eugene du Plessis, director of tax at the company said the Budget had hit the high net worth individual (HNWI) sector.“They are targeting the HNWI with measures that can only affect the wealthy, and by removing legitimate means of reducing their tax burden,” Du Plessis said.“While this is being viewed as ‘a more equitable means of spreading the load’, targeting the high proportion of their income that HNWIs earn from passive investments, in reality it is making South Africa such a high-tax country for the wealthy that there is little incentive for them to live here as opposed to more developed countries.”The coalition of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu), the South African Council of Churches (SACC) and the South African Non-Governmental Organisation Coalition (Sangoco) said it welcomed that government spending would be increased to 32% of GDP in 2012/13.State ‘must learn to spend its allocations better’However, the coalition said, it was concerned at the capacity in national departments, provincial governments and local municipalities to spend the allocated amounts in a manner that will boost the industrial capacity of the economy and create decent jobs.The coalition, referred to as the People’s Budget Campaign (PBC), said it was concerned that the Budget deficit would decrease to 3% of GDP by 2014.“The unpredictability of the current economic crisis in Europe will continue to impact our economy negatively,” the PBC said. “It is therefore important for government to avoid decreasing the budget deficit over the MTEF and thus prevent our economy from deteriorating into a second-round recession.“Cutting deficit spending is simply not a sound economic measure given the global economic crisis and the triple crisis we continue to face at home.”While the coalition welcomed the allocation of infrastructure spend to the tune of R3.2-trillion over the three-year period, it said it must be complimented by the need to increase the capacity of the state to appropriately spend the allocated amounts.“We welcome the proposed establishment of the municipal infrastructure support agency that will enhance infrastructure development capacity of the rural municipalities.”The coalition said it rejected the proposed adjustments in tariffs by the minister regarding e-tolling in Gauteng to pay for the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project.“The PBC rejects the continued reliance on user pay principle in the development of road infrastructure. We do not support e-tolling and call for a reliable, safe, affordable and integrated transport system,” it said, noting the acknowledgement made by Gordhan that the e-tolling system will have a negative impact on the road users in the province and workers in particular.The coalition said it was appalled that some learners were still being taught in mud houses, and demanded the elimination of them in the financial year. The Budget also failed to reduce teacher-learner ratios in the rural and township schools, it said.Source: BuaNews
In an incredible community effort, thousands of people from around the world came together to work the case. We are happy to report that all jewels have been returned to the museum in time for the gem exhibition that opened on August 11th. Were you on the case? What was your favorite part of Mystery at the Museum? Share in the comments below! Share with your Friends:More SharePrint RelatedMystery at the Museum FAQJune 25, 2019In “News”Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter – May 2, 2012May 3, 2012In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter”Breaking news! Mystery at the MuseumJune 25, 2019In “News” Detectives from around the world hosted events to share intel, find clues, and recover the stolen gems. Thanks to your help, authorities are happy to say that the Mystery at the Museum is now officially solved.
U17 World Cup Under-17 World Cup: New Zealand announce final 21-member squad Goal Last updated 2 years ago 17:39 21/9/2017 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty U17 World Cup New Zealand U17 The All Whites have announced their final squad who shall participate at the Under-17 World Cup in India next month… New Zealand are all set for the Under-17 World Cup in India as the All Whites coach Danny Hay has named his final 21-member squad on Thursday.”This group has done that and I have been impressed by the squad’s character both in our qualifiers and in our training camps as we build towards this tournament,” said Hay.”The message is clear to all of these young lads; playing for New Zealand is not a right, it is a privilege. It is something you have to earn and work hard for. The under-17s are the first cab off the rank in international football, so this group of players is very excited about going to a World Cup and seeing what they can do. We have a very balanced squad. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing “We have good players right across the park and more so than other age group teams we have some real quality going forward,” he mentioned.New Zealand won a practice game against Auckland City 4-1 . They arrive in India on September 2.They are placed in Group B alongside Paraguay, Turkey and Mali.New Zealand under-17: Goalkeepers: Jacob Clark, Zac Jones, Nicholas Milner. Defenders: Liberato Cacace, Boyd Curry, Ben Deeley, Matthew Jones, Joshua Rogerson, Jordan Spain, Emlyn Wellsmore. Midfielders: Willem Ebbinge, Elijah Just, Oliver Duncan, Kieran Richards, Kingsley Sinclair, Oliver Whyte, Leon Van Den Hoven.Forwards: Max Mata, Matthew Conroy, Charles Spragg, Matthew Palmer.
Reuse this content Share on LinkedIn Topics news Share on Messenger Premier League Share on Twitter Tottenham Hotspur Share via Email Share on Facebook While Tottenham’s Wembley teething troubles continue (yet to win in three Premier League games) their away form is the direct opposite with three wins from three, eight goals and a genuine air of title contenders. David Wagner’s Huddersfield – unbeaten at home so far – need to find a way of stopping Harry Kane adding to his tally of 11 goals for club and country in September. Paul ChronnellKick-off Saturday 12.30pm Venue John Smith’s StadiumLast season n/aLive Sky Sports Premier LeagueReferee Neil SwarbrickThis season G4, Y10, R0, 2.50 cards per gameOdds H 8-1 A 2-5 D 7-2Huddersfield TownSubs from Coleman, Malone, Hefele, Schofield, Whitehead, Lolley, Green, Van La Parra, Williams, Hadergjonaj, Cranie, BillingDoubtful NoneInjured Mounié (heel), Quaner (calf, both 14 Oct), Williams (foot, 21 Oct), Palmer (hamstring, Nov), Stankovic (knee, unknown)Suspended NoneForm WWDLDDDiscipline Y11 R0Leading scorer Mounié 2Tottenham HotspurSubs from Vorm, Gazzaniga, Walker-Peters, Foyth, Winks, Nkoudou, Son, LlorenteDoubtful NoneInjured Dembélé (ankle, 14 Oct), Wanyama (knee, 14 Oct), Rose (knee, Oct), Lamela (hip, Nov)Suspended Aurier (one match)Form WLDWDWDiscipline Y11 R1Leading scorer Kane 4 Huddersfield Match previews Share on WhatsApp Share on Pinterest
As it turned out, all Marshawn Lynch received were eight days off from the champion Seattle Seahawks’ training camp. His holdout for a new contract will end Thursday, according to ESPN sources, with no new deal as part of his return.Seattle, though, is expected to add some financial concessions to his contract, sources indicated.Lynch, 28, is in the third year of a four-year, $30 million deal. He received $6 million of it in a signing bonus. Lynch will make $5 million in base salary this season and $5.5 million in 2015, but he wanted more money up front or more money guaranteed.He is the key cog in the offense that helped Seattle win this year’s Super Bowl. Not having Lynch ready and eager would be a setback for a team with aspirations for a repeat.Lynch showed up for minicamp in June to avoid a hefty fine, but made a stand with the start of training camp. He is subject to a $30,000 fine for each day of camp he misses. Lynch has accumulated nearly $500,000 in team fines for his holdout through Thursday, but it is unclear if the Seahawks will collect the fines or waive them.He has rushed for 4,051 yards (along with 39 touchdowns) on 901 carries. He has averaged 300 carries and 1,350 yards over the past three seasons.