Previous articleLimerick Post Show | Expo 2020 Flag DisplayNext articleLimerick GAA TV launch online season ticket Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] Email Print WhatsApp Linkedin Twitter NewsPoliticsLabour councillor calls for July Stimulus to ‘put money in pockets’By Cian Reinhardt – July 22, 2020 84 Advertisement Facebook Conor Sheehan, Limerick City North CandidatePicture Brendan GleesonWITH Government set to announce the July Stimulus package this Thursday, July 23, a Limerick Labour councillor has called for the government to “put money in the pockets of low-income households”Speaking about Labour’s five tests for the Government’s July Stimulus due on Thursday, the Limerick City North representative called for the Government to put money in the pockets of low-income households, saying they know the money will be spent locally, boosting shop, business and local towns and villages.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr Sheehan said Labour’s five tests will determine if the Government “is serious about changing our economy for the better following COVID-19” or not.“We know the huge impact it has had here, with so many people out of work or just barely keeping things going,” he said, “If we don’t act now to save jobs, the unemployment caused by COVID-19 will increase poverty and hardship, and the Government must take strong action to reverse this. It’s now or never. We can’t afford to get this wrong.”Labour has called for a further €10 per week to be added to “all core social welfare payments” in the stimulus.He said, “These payments have fallen behind the cost of living and now is the time to close that gap. There was no increase in social welfare payments in last year’s budget and targeting the funds in this way ensures it will be spent in the local economy.”The Labour councillor believes those who rely on social welfare payments are “most likely to spend their money on essential goods and services locally” and “we need people to spend locally to support businesses that are on the edge due to COVID-19”.Cllr Sheehan has also called for an investment package for local schools to ensure a safe reopening in September.Sheehan said, “Labour has also called for investment in public services like schools, health centres and public transport, which are essential to reduce inequality and to provide everyone with a decent standard of living. “The Government could and should use the July stimulus to allocate funding to Shannon Heritage to keep King Johns Castle and Bunratty open past August 31 and save these important local jobs in the tourism industry.”Labour’s Five Tests for Government’s July Stimulus plan are:The stimulus must be big enough to counteract the negative impact of COVID-19 and Brexit on jobs, businesses and household finances.The stimulus must be directed at the creation of good quality jobs, especially for younger workers.The goal must be to create a new economic model, based on lifelong learning, caring and sustainability.Stimulus measures must reduce economic inequality.The stimulus must strengthen public services, including a single-tier public health system, a safe return to school in September and major investment in public housing.
The city of Pensacola, Florida is the victim of a cyber attack one day after a terror attack at the Naval Air Station.Mayor Grover Robinson announced yesterday the attack started over the weekend, and the FBI, Homeland Security and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement are investigating.Robinson says it’s too early to know if any personal information was compromised.The attack did not affect public safety agencies such as 911 call, and there’s no word on when the city will be fully back online.Pensacola City spokesperson Kaycee Lagarde saying they aren’t sure if the cyber attack is linked to the naval air base shooting and as a precaution officials reported it to the FBI.For now Pensacola’s government’s doing business old school with pen and paper.
CHARLES CITY — At least five tornadoes touched down in Iowa yesterday.“Kind of the strange part about this type of weather was it wasn’t even really associated with true thunderstorms, so a little bit of a rarity,” said meteorologist Todd Shea.Shea works in the National Weather Service office in La Crosse, Wisconsin, which tracked some of Monday’s storms.“Most of the tornadoes that did occur from Charles City up towards Lime Springs and into southern Minnesota literally occurred with storms that weren’t even considered thunderstorms. There wasn’t even thunder or anything. It was just rain showers, but it was an environment that could support that type of tornado activity.”The National Weather Service has confirmed 52 tornadoes in eight states yesterday. Shea said two “sizable” tornado tracks have been established in northeast Iowa.“Most of the damage was to farm buildings. There were a couple of homes near Charles City that were hit pretty hard,” Shea said. “But a lot of the tornado activity also just occurred in open country which was kind of a blessing, that it didn’t hit more structures.”One tornado early Monday afternoon caused heavy damage to the Floyd County Fairgrounds in Charles City, as well as to a fertilizer plant. There was also tornado damage in or near Lime Springs, Elma, Cantril and in southeast Iowa’s Des Moines County. Howard County Emergency Management Coordinator Darrell Knecht said the roofs were damaged in several homes near Riceville and Saratoga and a hog confinement was destroyed.“One of the wind turbines had several of the blades on their propellers torn off and then the tornado continued on toward Lime Springs. went over the top of Lime Springs and just did tree and power line damage there,” he said. “And of course there was a lot of tree and power line damage out in the rural areas as well.”A sixth twister is still unconfirmed near the Quad Cities. No serious injuries are reported.
Money games Havelange neither drank nor smoked and met with Pope John Paul II on no less than three occasions. However, there was a less savory side to the clean-living sports powerbroker.Amid swirling allegations of corruption, Havelange resigned from the IOC in December 2011. Officially he left for health reasons, but his departure was two days before he was due to face an ethics investigation into allegations he had taken bribes to funnel contracts to a marketing company called ISL.In 2013, Havelange resigned as honorary president of FIFA after confirmation of reports that he had taken bribes.Critics say that corruption was as much Havelange’s legacy as the successful internationalization of football. His successor Blatter would himself announce his resignation in June 2015 after a massive corruption probe led to the arrests of seven top FIFA officials.Havelange still casts a long shadow over international sport.Athletes competing in the Rio Games race in a stadium which — despite complaints from some quarters — still bears the name: Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium. Global game Under Havelange the World Cup expanded from a 16-nation event focused on Europe and a few South American sides to the planet-wide sporting festival it has become.By the time Havelange handed over the FIFA reins to Sepp Blatter in 1998, the number of competing nations had doubled to 32, with 12 coming from Asia, Africa or the CONCACAF region for North and Central America and the Caribbean.He also oversaw FIFA’s inauguration of the Under-17 World Cup, the World Youth Cup, the Women’s World Cup, the Indoor World Cup and also introduced the Confederations’ Cup, played between continental champions.“I did not become president of FIFA just to watch good football and applaud,” Havelange said just before making way for Blatter. Share on: WhatsApp Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | AFP | Joao Havelange, who has died at 100, was the man who made FIFA a global powerhouse, only to resign under a cloud of corruption that has darkened the world footballing body’s reputation.His death was confirmed Tuesday by the Samaritano Hospital in Rio de Janeiro. He had been treated there as recently as July for pneumonia.As head of FIFA for 24 years and with half a century on the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Havelange thought and acted big, becoming a central figure in the evolution of today’s sporting mega-events.Among his last achievements was to use his clout to help Rio win its bid to host this year’s Olympic Games — the first held in South America.Havelange “sees the world through a telescope and not through a microscope,” former US secretary of state Henry Kissinger said.Born to a wealthy Belgian immigrant family in Rio de Janeiro in 1916, Jean-Marie Faustin Goedefroid de Havelange graduated with a law degree, but sport was his true love.He represented Brazil in swimming at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin and again in Helsinki in 1952, where he was on the water polo team.His real calling turned out to be in management where he rose to the top echelons of sporting bodies, setting a standard for the kind of lengthy — and deeply entrenched — reigns that some critics blame for fostering a culture of corruption.Havelange was president of the Brazilian Sports Confederation for 15 years and joined the Brazilian Olympic Committee in 1955, then the IOC in 1963 where he would remain until 2011.In 1974 he got the job of FIFA president, succeeding Sir Stanley Rous as the first non-European in the role. Over the next quarter century Havelange would change the way the world experienced football.
Shanghai, China | AFP | A Chinese conglomerate has won the rights to broadcast the English Premier League in China for three years, it said Friday, with reports putting the deal’s value at $650 million.The contract would represent a huge uplift on the previous contract as Chinese money pours into football, including major investments in England, and businesses rush to support President Xi Jinping’s national footballing ambitions.“The feedback that the board of the English Premier League gave us is that we have won the bid” to broadcast the English Premier League from 2019 to 2022, a spokesman for Suning Holdings’s PPTV unit told AFP.The exclusive media rights cover mainland China and its special administrative region Macau, a Suning spokeswoman said, adding they still have paperwork to sign before making an official announcement.PPTV is an online streaming platform under the sports arm of the Suning Holdings company, which paid 270 million euros (then $306 million) in June for a majority stake of Inter Milan.It also owns Chinese Super League club Jiangsu Suning, which twice broke the Asian transfer record this year to sign Ramires from Chelsea for 28 million euros and Shakhtar Donetsk’s Alex Teixeira for 50 million euros.The three-year TV rights were worth more than $650 million, Bloomberg News reported, marking a 12-fold increase on the current contract due to intense competition for the rights.Friday’s announcement by PPTV came soon after the start of a new Premier League television rights cycle, which has generated some £8.3 billion ($10 billion) worldwide through 2019. In the United States, leading terrestrial television network NBC signed a $1 billion six-year deal for the American rights through to 2022.PPTV’s entry into the Premier League broadcast rights market follows huge Chinese investment into English football clubs of more than £500 million ($668 million) since December 2015.The impact has been greatest in the Midlands where Premier League West Bromwich Albion and second-tier Aston Villa, Birmingham City and Wolverhampton Wanderers are now all owned by Chinese businessman or corporations.Last month, a Chinese consortium struck a preliminary agreement to buy Premier League Hull City for £130 million ($159 million), conditional on approval by English football authorities.But the investment is not limited to outright control, with the Chinese’s government’s 13 percent stake in Abu Dhabi-controlled Premier League giants Manchester City one of a number of shareholdings in English clubs.Chinese firms have spent lavishly this year on football clubs, players, and broadcasting rights in an effort to diversify their businesses and aid Xi’s dream of making China into a global centre of gravity for the sport.Xi is a known football fan and in 2011 — when he was then vice president — he laid out three hopes for China’s soccer future: to qualify for another World Cup, to host a World Cup and to win a World Cup.Sport planners hope to turn China into a “world football superpower” by 2050, with a target of 50 million people playing the game by 2020, according to a plan published by the Chinese Football Association in April.Share on: WhatsApp
The funeral for 44-year-old Navy Veteran Renae Alexander is set to begin at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Central Holiness Church on in Atlanta, Georgia.She served in the Navy for two years and was working in southwest Atlanta as a property manager before her untimely death.Police say Alexander was helping a friend move into the Columbia at Mechanicsville Station Apartments when a group of armed masked men rushed them.The men stole one car, fatally shot Alexander, and shot another person in the process.The conditions the second shooting victim is unknown at this time.Alexander’s killers are still at large.The family set up a GoFundMe to help cover funeral expenses.
Police made an explosive discovery during what was supposed to be a routine DUI stop in Palm Beach Gardens on Sunday.Fred Otto Jr., 59, was arrested after police found six homemade explosives in his pickup truck.Police initially sought Otto over what was believed to be a domestic dispute.Authorities found a woman in the middle of the street who told them Otto had left her there after a heated exchange.Otto was then seen by police making a U-turn.An officer followed him after he reportedly knocked down the lane dividers in the road while attempting to flee.The officer pulled him over, conducted a DUI investigation, and called a tow truck to the scene.As the tow truck driver began preparations to take the vehicle, he noticed possible explosive devices inside.A Palm Beach Gardens detective verified some of the items as being homemade explosives and others to be commercial fireworks.The Bomb Squad with the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene.According to the arrest report, the bomb squad found six destructive devices inside the pickup truck.The devices were in cardboard tubes, filled with explosive powder and a fuse.The powder, according to a detective with experience as an FBI-certified bomb technician, “presumptively” tested positive for chlorate-based explosives.Otto is from Pompano Beach and has a record, including a prior arrest by the ATF in Miami, according to the arrest report.A spokesman for Palm Beach Gardens Police says the case is now in the hands of federal authorities.He is facing multiple charges, including six counts of possession of explosives and one DUI charge.No other information is available at this time.
The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office found a 7-year-old boy riding his bicycle early Monday morning in the area of 10th Ave N and Congress Avenue in central Palm Beach County.PBSO is asking for the public’s help in finding the family of the boy. Anyone with information is urged to call PBSO Dispatch 561-688-3400.
A 13-year-old is dead after he and his family were attacked while they traveled back to the US after visiting relatives in Mexico.The incident occurred Saturday night on a highway just south of Texas, in the state of Tamaulipas.Not much is known about the case at this time, however, authorities did report that the highway the family was traveling on is considered “high-risk” because it travels through an area that is disputed by several criminal groups.Additionally, while, the identity of the family was not released, the attorney general’s office said the teen was a U.S. citizen and that the parents were permanent residents of the U.S.
In addition, meteorologists with our TV news partner, WPTV NewsChannel 5, say it is also possible that gusty winds pushed cold air and graupel down from the clouds, and it simply did not have a chance to melt before hitting the ground.The one and only time our region has actually seen snow was on January 19, 1977. Most of the flakes melted on impact. The cold weather brought out more than just the layers of clothing for some local residents Wednesday. It also brought hopes of snow in South FloridaHowever, the National Weather Service clarifies that Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast did not get snow flurries on Wednesday, as those residents originally thought.According to the NWS, what fell during the morning and afternoon hours could be graupel, a soft ice pellet-looking precipitation. It might also simply have been small hail.A statement from the weather service reads: “Graupel forms in the same way as hail except the diameter is less than 5 millimeters. It usually grows by soft hail processes.”