SALT LAKE CITY >> There are very few things about the game of basketball Chris Paul cannot explain. But the series of events that led to a dispiriting playoff loss Sunday night were beyond articulation.“I felt like it happened fast,” Paul said.That could be said of so much in this series, which is now knotted at two wins each after Utah stormed back to beat the Clippers 105-98 Sunday.Rudy Gobert going down with a knee injury 11 seconds into Game 1. Blake Griffin damaging precious cartilage in his right big toe. Gobert heroically returning to the floor after a mere eight days. Paul scored 27 points to lead L.A., while Jamal Crawford finally had the game everyone assumed he would eventually have, scoring 25 points off the bench.Gobert made a surprising return, and finished with 15 points and 13 rebounds, while Derrick Favors added 17 points off the bench. Rodney Hood scored 18.Ultimately, however, it was the timely scoring of Joe Johnson that sunk the Clippers.“It’s Sunday,” Snyder said. “They used to call him ‘Joe Jesus.’”For the second time in this series after a Jazz star left the game early, Joe Johnson dominated down the stretch.The veteran forward scored 13 of his game-high 28 points in the fourth quarter. In the final period, the Jazz shot 10-of-14 from the field, while the Clippers were just 5-of-16 from the field and were outscored 28-18.“We let that one get away,” Paul said. “We came here to get back home court, had an opportunity to get two, but it is what it is now.“We’re going to have to go back and protect home court.”Game 5 is Tuesday at Staples Center.The Clippers led 87-80 when Johnson, whose buzzer-beater in Game 1 beat the Clippers, knocked down a seemingly harmless jumper. However, Marreese Speights missed a 3 on the Clippers’ next possession, and Johnson scored again.Then again. And again, and again.Meanwhile, the Clippers kept erring. Paul traveled, Redick missed a 3.Johnson scored 11 straight points, converting on five straight possessions in the span of three minutes for Utah.On the sixth, George Hill found Johnson open in the corner, but instead of shooting the 3 he flicked the ball to Joe Ingles who knocked down a deep 3, giving Utah a 94-90 lead.Finally, with 1:20 left Paul knocked down a floater to stop the bleeding. It was the first Clippers field goal since Paul scored with 7:53 still on the clock.It had been only two nights since it was Paul who carried his team to victory, scoring nine straight points amid a 15-0 run in L.A.’s Game 3 victory.“I remember last game, CP really putting his stamp on the game towards the end,” Johnson said. “I wanted us to return the favor.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Especially and most recently, how about the Clippers blowing a seven-point lead in the fourth quarter of Game 4, when they appeared to be cruising to a 3-1 series advantage when the Jazz were without Gordon Hayward?Hayward played just nine minutes due to food poisoning, and his night ended with him on his back in a dark room. It seemed to be the crack in the door needed for the Clippers, who have little sympathy after the spate of playoff heartbreak they have endured, to seize control of the series.Instead of closing, the Clippers closed down.This first-round battle royale has been extended for at least two more games after the Clippers went more than six minutes without a field goal in the fourth quarter of a 105-98 loss in Game 4 at Vivint Smart Home Arena.“That’s on me,” Paul said. “Being the point guard, I’ve got to manage the game better, make sure we get good shots.”
Astros catcher Robinson Chirinos and Rangers outfielder Delino DeShields Jr. risked serious injury Tuesday in the field, but also saved runs through their fearless defensive play.Chirinos put himself in the way of White Sox catcher Welington Castillo, who was barreling toward the plate, not only hanging onto the ball to record the out but also keeping Chicago from extending a promising inning. DeShields, meanwhile, made a leaping catch in Toronto at the expense of his head, which banged into the outfield wall. MORE: As 2019 MLB rookie hitters pile up numbers, a look at past classesWhile updated MLB rules state runners cannot go out of their way to knock over a catcher at the plate, they are allowed to plow through a backstop when their opponent impedes the baseline. That’s what happened with Chirinos, who fielded a slightly offline throw from George Springer just as Castillo approached. Chirinos appeared shaken up but remained in the game.Who put that wall there? #TakeItBack pic.twitter.com/ArnxIF2Qw2— Houston Astros (@astros) August 13, 2019DeShields made his risky play with the bases loaded, saving right-hander Lance Lynn from several runs scoring. He also narrowly avoided serious damage to his head. DeShields remained on the ground for several moments before trotting back to the dugout under his own power.HOLY MOLY! @LinoDeShields goes FULL SEND to end a bases loaded jam for Lance Lynn!He would end up being okay after hitting his head on the outfield wall.#TogetherWe pic.twitter.com/G4fscc1aJ9— FOX Sports Southwest (@FOXSportsSW) August 14, 2019Each player likely gained extra support in their respective clubhouses for their all-out efforts, but maybe they’ll play it a little more careful next time.
Investigators say that some of the people who drove to the park to watch the fight were adults.The 16-year-old has been charged with two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. Florida authorities have charged a 16-year-old girl with stabbing two other teens during a fight that investigators say was arranged on social media.According to reports, several carloads of people arrived at a Deltona park on Friday night to follow the conflict, which had started earlier in the day at University High School.Volusia County deputies say the girl stabbed a 17-year-old student in the hip and a 15-year-old in the chest. The girl admitted that she attacked the other teens, as the entire incident was captured on video.
The 33-year-old businesswoman who was caught trespassing at Mar-a-Lago in March has been sentenced to 8-months behind bars.The sentencing took place on Monday by Federal Judge Roy Altman.According to the report, Yujing Zhang was apprehended by Secret Service personnel on March 30th after she was caught trying to enter the private club. Zhang told authorities that she was at the club to attend a United Nations Friendship Event, however, after further review, authorities found that Zhang had been told on several occasions that the event had been canceled.Officials also found that Zhang was in possession of several cell phones, passports, USB drives, a thumb drive that is believed to be full of malware, and a signal detector to check for hidden cameras.She was immediately arrested.During the trial, Zhang chose to represent herself and claimed that she did nothing wrong but Assistant U.S. Attorney Rolando Garcia argued that Zhang knew what she was doing and “lied to everyone,” including her taxi driver. Garcia also pointed to the number of strange items Zhang had on her when she was apprehended and recommended that Zhang serve an 18- month sentence.The judge, however, sentenced Zhang only to 8- months.Zhang has been in custody since March 30th and will be credited for time served. After she completes her sentence, she will then be deported.
The House Rules committee has approved six hours of debate ahead of Wednesday’s impeachment hearing.The measure was approved late Tuesday night by a party-line vote of nine to four who approved the legislation.President Trump is accused of abusing his powers as president and obstruction of Congress after withholding funds from Ukraine in order to get information regarding relations of political rival, Joe Biden’s son.The move will clear the way for the panel to debate and then vote on whether President Trump committed a crime and whether or not he should be impeached.If the House decides to impeach President Trump, they then will decide if he should also be removed from office.
Two Broward healthcare workers who were charged with aggravated manslaughter last year in connection with the deaths of 12 people at a Hollywood nursing home following Hurricane Irma are asking a judge to dismiss the cases against them, claiming that former Governor Rick Scott destroyed evidence that would have helped their defense.Residents at the nursing home, called Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills, began dying three days after Hurricane Irma made landfall in South Florida on September 10, 2017.Temperatures inside the facility reach 99 degrees while the power was knocked out following the storm.Broward County prosecutors later charged four of the facility’s employees, claiming they had neglected their duties and failed to provide adequate care to residents during the hurricane’s aftermath.Two of the workers — Sergo Colin, who was a night shift nursing supervisor, and Jorge Carballo, who served as the facility’s administrator — filed the motion to dismiss earlier this week. They told a Broward County judge the cases should be thrown out because the state violated due process by destroying voicemails nursing home employees had left on Scott’s cellphone after the storm. Scott had given out his number during hurricane preparations and told administrators they should contact him directly for assistance, according to the men.After the deaths, which were ultimately blamed on the lack of an electrical supply to the facility’s air conditioning system, Scott tried to place the blame elsewhere “so as to cover up the debacle at RCHH that he personally created,” the motion to dismiss states. The men also all allege that Scott ordered the deletion of voice messages that included cries for help.The motion states, “As a direct result of Governor Scott’s order to destroy the recordings so as to cover up his own failings, the jury in this case will never have the opportunity to listen to heartfelt and desperate pleas to Governor Scott to please order [Florida Power & Light] to restore power to the A/C chiller.”In September 2017, Scott’s office told reporters who asked for access to the voicemails through public records requests that staff members had deleted the voice messages after they were transcribed.In response to the new allegations, the office for Scott, who was elected as Florida’s junior senator two years ago, says that Colin and Carballo are being held accountable for “their inexplicable failure to call 911 when people were in need.”“Every child knows that when there is imminent danger, 911 is the number to call,” a Scott spokeswoman explains. “Yet, trained health staff at this facility didn’t even do that. In addition to not calling 911, the nursing home never pursued transferring its residents to the hospital located directly across the street that had full power.”Attorney Jim Cobb, who is representing the defendants, argued after the charges against his clients were first filed last year, that Memorial Regional Hospital across the street was “slammed” after the hurricane and could not accommodate the nursing home’s residents.In response to the deaths at the nursing home, Scott issued a series of emergency orders, including one that requires such living facilities to have generators and enough fuel to keep their operations and cooling systems running for at least four days after a disruption.State lawmakers eventually reached a compromise with Scott, requiring facilities to submit emergency power plans proving they have installed an alternate power source that can supply electricity for four days. The rules also establish requirements for keeping backup fuel on site for nursing homes and assisted living facilities.Hollywood Hills had a backup generator that kicked in when Hurricane Irma knocked out two area transformers that were powering the facility. The generator only provided power for the lights, medical equipment and appliances, while another transformer that provided power to the air-conditioning system remained nonoperational.