Fresh injury woe devastates Carroll

first_img Press Association Andy Carroll has revealed he is “absolutely devastated” that surgery on an injured ankle will see him miss the start of the season for the second year running. “Going under the knife tomorrow morning and absolutely devastated to be missing the start of the season!,” he tweeted on Thursday evening. The news will come as a major blow to Hammers boss Sam Allardyce as he looks to improve on the 13th placed Barclays Premier League finish in the last campaign. Allardyce had already identified the need to add extra firepower to his squad ahead of the new season before Carroll’s latest injury nightmare. Mauro Zarate is already on board and only a work permit application is keeping Ecuador’s World Cup star Enner Valencia from joining from Pachuca. But the 59-year-old may now go back into the transfer market for another forward, while questions will be asked as to whether Carroll can ever maintain a level of fitness for a prolonged period of time. Carroll had travelled with the squad for a pre-season tour of New Zealand but the club decided they would not risk him in either game, with reports now suggesting he could be out for up to four months. It would be a bitter pill to swallow for the former Newcastle and Liverpool man, who had spoken before his injury about the importance of keeping fit for the forthcoming campaign. “It’s a very important pre-season for me after I had a very bad season last year with injuries,” he said upon landing in New Zealand. “It’s important I stay fit and do everything right with the medical staff.” Without the injured Carroll in their side West Ham slipped to a 2-1 defeat to Wellington Phoenix in their first tour match – although Allardyce will be boosted by the fact Zarate scored a well-taken consolation. The Argentina forward will now compete with Carlton Cole for a starting role in Saturday’s friendly against Sydney FC, with the club hopeful that Valencia’s work permit will be issued by the time they return home. With Carroll likely to be out for some time, Allardyce may return to the transfer market for another forward to bolster his options ahead of a season-opening derby at home to Tottenham. The 25-year-old England international has featured just 16 times for West Ham since becoming the club’s record signing last summer and now faces more time on the sidelines with an ankle problem. A long-standing heel injury kept Carroll out until January and he scored just twice on his return. Now he will be absent once again. last_img read more

McIlroy in contention at Firestone

first_imgRory McIlroy will tee off from 3-under par this afternoon at the WGC Bridgestone Invitational.The world-number-four is two shots behind leader Thomas Pieters into the second day at Firestone.McIlroy followed up his top five finish at the Open with a solid round of 67 yesterday. Photo © – Tipp FMlast_img

Ministry of Youth & Sports to deal with SWAG only

first_imgThe Ministry of Youth and Sports has directed all media houses wishing to make request for introductory letters to any high commission or embassy to route it through the Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG).A statement signed by Michael Frimpong, Head of Public Relations said the directive is to ensure effective co-ordination and smooth facilitation of the process.“This year marks a major international sporting calendar which Ghana will be participating in, notable among them are the Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup, the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games and the Costa Rica 2014 FIFA U – 17 Female World Cup among others.“With the Ministry expecting to be inundated with requests from media houses for introductory letters to the respective Embassies or High Commissions for visas, we believe there is the need for one body to do the coordination hence the directive, ” said the statement.The statement urged SWAG, the Ghana Football Association (GFA), the Ghana Olympic Committee and the National Sports Authority (NSA) to take note of the directive.last_img read more

Storms that produced Monday’s tornadoes ‘a rarity’

first_imgCHARLES CITY — At least five tornadoes touched down in Iowa yesterday.“Kind of the strange part about this type of weather was it wasn’t even really associated with true thunderstorms, so a little bit of a rarity,” said meteorologist Todd Shea.Shea works in the National Weather Service office in La Crosse, Wisconsin, which tracked some of Monday’s storms.“Most of the tornadoes that did occur from Charles City up towards Lime Springs and into southern Minnesota literally occurred with storms that weren’t even considered thunderstorms. There wasn’t even thunder or anything. It was just rain showers, but it was an environment that could support that type of tornado activity.”The National Weather Service has confirmed 52 tornadoes in eight states yesterday. Shea said two “sizable” tornado tracks have been established in northeast Iowa.“Most of the damage was to farm buildings. There were a couple of homes near Charles City that were hit pretty hard,” Shea said. “But a lot of the tornado activity also just occurred in open country which was kind of a blessing, that it didn’t hit more structures.”One tornado early Monday afternoon caused heavy damage to the Floyd County Fairgrounds in Charles City, as well as to a fertilizer plant. There was also tornado damage in or near Lime Springs, Elma, Cantril and in southeast Iowa’s Des Moines County. Howard County Emergency Management Coordinator Darrell Knecht said the roofs were damaged in several homes near Riceville and Saratoga and a hog confinement was destroyed.“One of the wind turbines had several of the blades on their propellers torn off and then the tornado continued on toward Lime Springs. went over the top of Lime Springs and just did tree and power line damage there,” he said. “And of course there was a lot of tree and power line damage out in the rural areas as well.”A sixth twister is still unconfirmed near the Quad Cities. No serious injuries are reported.last_img read more

Senate Committee Upholds Scott Israel’s Suspension

first_imgIsrael responded to the committee vote by saying he will run in 2020 against the appointed Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony and will be re-elected for a third time.Acting sheriff Gregory Tony, right, speaks after being introduced by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, left, at the Broward County Sheriff’s Office Fort Lauderdale headquarters, Friday, Jan. 11, 2019, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. DeSantis suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel on Friday over his handling of February’s massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee) The Florida Senate Rules Committee voted 9-7 along party lines on Monday night to uphold Governor Ron DeSantis’ removal of Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel in the wake of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.The vote came after 10 hours of testimony from special investigators, lawyers, and the public.DeSantis suspended Israel in January for his handling of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School massacre and the 2017 mass shooting at Fort-Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.The matter now goes to a vote by the full Senate on Wednesday. last_img read more

Pregnant FL woman saves family by fatally shooting intruder with AR-15

first_imgA Florida woman is being hailed a hero for saving her family’s lives during a violent home invasion, Wednesday evening.Jeremy King told BN9 that his wife “evened the playing field and kept them from killing me.”Around 9 p.m., Wednesday, two masked men armed with guns broke into the Lithia family home.One of the men first grabbed the couple’s 11-year-old daughter before violently attacking the male victim, police say.King said one of the men pistol-whipped him while another kicked him repeatedly in the head during the attack.His wife, who is eight months pregnant, was in the back bedroom and peeked out to see what was going on, according to King.He said that one of the men shot then at her.She retreated, grabbed an AR-15, and returned fire, King said.Deputies later found a man identified as one of the intruders dead in a nearby ditch.The second gunman fled the scene after the fatal shot was fired and is still at large, deputies said.Detectives do not believe the attack was random and are currently investigating the relationship between the victims and suspects.The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office also noted that the AR-15 used by the pregnant female was in the family home legally.“Anyone with information is asked to call Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office at 813-247-8200.”last_img read more

Actress Lori Loughlin Accuses Prosecutors of Withholding Exculpatory Evidence

first_imgWhile other defendants have fallen on their swords actress Lori Loughlin continues to fight and is urging courts to release evidence that she claims could help prove her innocence in the ongoing college admissions scandal.In court documents filed Friday, attorney Sean Berkowitz, who represents Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli, claims evidence that could be used to strengthen their case is being withheld by prosecution because it was deemed irrelevant and immaterial.By sharing FBI interview statements from William “Rick” Singer, the man at the center of the college admission scandal, the celebrity couple’s defense team hopes to show that Loughlin, 55, and Giannulli, 56, didn’t know their donations would be used as bribes. The motion asserts that not sharing the evidence prevents a fair trial.“But the Government appears to be concealing exculpatory evidence that helps show that both Defendants believed all of the payments they made would go to USC itself — for legitimate, university-approved purposes — or to other legitimate charitable causes,” read the motion, which was filed at Massachusetts’ U.S. District Court.The document continued: “The Government’s failure to disclose this information is unacceptable, and this Court should put a stop to it.”The United States Attorney’s Office in Massachusetts declined to comment.last_img read more

ICE: 4 Arrests Connected to Immigrants Who Came Ashore on Palm Beach

first_imgImmigration authorities revealed Saturday that four people have been arrested in connection with the 12 immigrants who came ashore and were detained on Friday in Palm Beach.Nestor Yglesias, the South Florida spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), says the arrests could be related to smuggling from the Bahamas, although the four suspects will not be charged until they make their initial appearances before a judge this week.Border Patrol agents, Sheriff’s deputies and Town of Palm Beach police officers captured all 12 people who were seen running from a small boat that came ashore on Friday, near the north end of Palm Beach Island.Of those who were apprehended on Friday, ICE officials said that nine were Chinese nationals, two were Cuban and one was Bahamian.Chinese companies have been increasing their investment and presence in the Bahamas during the past few years.last_img read more

Broward Judge Removes Antonio Brown from House Arrest

first_imgFormer NFL star Antonio Brown is no longer on house arrest at his Broward County home. Judge frees Antonio Brown from house arrest:https://t.co/T3wM7xsY1H— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 28, 2020 A Broward County judge today granted Brown’s request to remove his ankle monitor.Brown is charged with felony burglary and battery after police say he and a trainer assaulted a mover he had hired at his home in Hollywood. Brown will be allowed to travel within the U.S., but is required to keep in daily contact with pretrial services.He remains free on $110-thousand bond and was also ordered to give up his passport and guns and undergo drug, alcohol and mental health testing.last_img