Nova Scotia Reviewing NB Logging Court Decision

first_img The Nova Scotia government will review a court decision releasedtoday, Aug. 28, in New Brunswick that deals with aboriginallogging on Crown land. The New Brunswick Court of Appeal has ruled that a Mi’kmaqharvester is not guilty of violating the Crown Lands and ForestsAct. “Our legal staff will review today’s ruling, but this decision isnot binding in Nova Scotia,” said Richard Hurlburt, Nova Scotia’sMinister of Natural Resources. “Nova Scotia will continue tomonitor timber harvest on Crown lands and take appropriateenforcement action if necessary.” Nova Scotia has a similar case before the courts. Thirty-fiveMi’kmaq loggers were convicted in provincial court in March 2001of illegally harvesting timber from Crown land. The decision wasupheld in Nova Scotia Supreme Court in March 2002. An appeal washeard in the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal earlier this year. Nodecision has been released. In June 2002, the province of Nova Scotia, the federal governmentand the Mi’kmaq signed an umbrella agreement to enter into broadnegotiations on treaty-related issues. “This government agrees that negotiated settlements are thepreferred option,” said Ernest Fage, acting Minister ofAboriginal Affairs. “The process that we are moving forward withcan provide more clarity for all interested parties.” The provincial and federal governments are awaiting theappointment of a Mi’kmaq chief negotiator to proceed with thenegotiations. ABORIGINAL AFFAIRS–Nova Scotia Reviewing N.B. Logging CourtDecisionlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *