To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
NZ Herald 2 August 2013Deliberate self-harming is reaching epidemic levels among Kiwi teenagers – but the teens say it has become “almost fashionable”.An Auckland University survey of 8500 students in 91 secondary schools has found that 29.1 per cent of girls harmed themselves deliberately in the year before the survey last year, up from 26 per cent in the previous survey, done in 2007.The number of boys who harmed themselves also increased, from 15.5 per cent to 17.9 per cent.The figures contrast with other findings in the survey that are positive. Teenage binge-drinking has almost halved since the first survey in the series in 2001, drink-driving has dropped by a third, regular marijuana smoking has halved and cigarette smoking has almost disappeared, down from 15.5 per cent in 2001 to 4.5 per cent.Violence and fighting have both dropped by a third. Only 5.3 per cent of students stayed away from school some time in the past month because of bullying, down from 9.5 per cent in 2001.Even promiscuity is waning. The number of high-school students who have never had sex have increased from 68.7 per cent in 2001 and 63.7 per cent in 2007 to 75.6 per cent, and the number described as currently sexually active dropped from 21.2 per cent and 26 per cent to 18.8 per cent.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10906817
Loading… Read Also: Cricket: Injured Sharma out of India’s New Zealand tour There will be explanations of the meaning behind some of the traditions, such as how wrestlers enter the ring and why they stamp their feet before a bout. A winner will be crowned on both days, with the two champions facing off in a grand final. There will be simultaneous commentary in English and Japanese, said sumo association spokesman Shibatayama Yasushi. Visitors will also be able to mingle with wrestlers, shake hands and take pictures with them at the event, added Hakkaku. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?What Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?7 Reasons Why You Might Want To Become A VegetarianWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?This Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World Some of sumo’s biggest stars will put on a special exhibition between the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, seeking to introduce their rarefied traditions to sports fans from around the globe. Sumo grand champion or “yokozuna” Kakuryu wants to show off his traditions to the world The two-day event on August 12-13 will come just days after the Olympic closing ceremony and is expected to feature grand champions or “yokozuna”, who are massive stars in Japan. Kakuryu, one of these yokozuna, said Tuesday he was looking forward to introducing sumo to a “global audience” and “receiving people from all over the world”. Sumo association chief Hakkaku Nobuyoshi said he wanted a global audience to better understand the sport, which is steeped in Shinto ritual tradition. “We want visitors to understand that sumo is not just a sport but also a tradition and culture,” Hakkaku told reporters at the Ryogoku Kokugikan arena in Tokyo, where the event will take place.Advertisement
Sunman, In. — Indiana Conservation officers are investigating an off-road vehicle crash that seriously injured a 14-year-old in the Sunman area.A report from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources says at 2:30 p.m. Saturday the youth was operating the vehicle in the 22000 block of Shale Road without a helmet when he lost control and hit a tree. The impact threw the teen about eight feet away into a creek. Witnesses pulled the ten from the creek and called 911.The victim is being treated at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital for unknown injuries.
RelatedPosts Man U complete £40m Van de Beek deal Sevilla claim sixth Europa League title Inter Milan beat Shakhtar to reach Europa League final A new hashtag: #OleOut, calling for the sack of the Manager of Manchester United, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, dominated discussions on Twitter over the weekend. Solskjaer has been in the eye of the storm for United’s dwindling performance since his confirmation as Manager. Some of the statistics used to judge him included losing 21 games in 50; playing 29 games as permanent Manager and recoding eight wins, nine draws, 12 losses. Some of the comments against him included: Football Geeks, @geeks_football: Man Utd’s 13 points from 11 Prem games is lowest at this stage of season for 33 years… before Fergie took over. Abdi, @AbdiKillem: Everyday I realize how much mourinho has done for the club #oleout. AndyRobertsLUHG, @AndyRobUnited: David Moyes lost 15 times as permanent manager after 53 games. Ole’s has lost 13 after 28 #OleOut. Carwyn Williams, @CarwynW42350638: #OleOut keep it trending. This is getting embarrassing. Things got worse for Solksjaer after the loss to Bournemouth on Saturday in the Premier League. And then followed the questioning of the rationale for allowing Romelu Lukaku leave when Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford are not living up to expectations. $antus tweeted @Santus4413: Man utd just lost to a team that hasn’t succeeded since September. #OleOut. timilehin, @timiperfect: Guess what??? Lukaku scored again today while world best young player martial and rashford were counting how many seats where in the bournemouth stadium. For this decision alone #OleOut. #BOUMUN. But there are those with the belief that it is the team and not the manager with the challenge. Don Martial, @Unitedevil1: No point tweeting #OleOut he ain’t going no where, Woodward ain’t sacking him, he covers for Woodward & The Glazers, accepts the club selling & not replacing players & Poch is still at Spurs. Unofficial_Pundit, @UnofficialPund1: Feel really sorry for Ole. He doesn’t have a squad and the reason why we lost this game was players been really tired. We move on to the next game #BOUMUN #MUFC.Tags: Bournemouth FCManchester United FCMarcus RashfordOle Gunnar SolskjaerRomelu Lukaku
View Gallery (2 Photos)BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — As Wisconsin running back John Clay watched from the sidelines with a head injury, freshman running back Montee Ball proved just how valuable he can be to the Big Ten’s top rushing offense.Considering the UW coaching staff nearly redshirted Ball early in the year, his performance truly was a remarkable one that impressed his coaches and teammates.“He’s got a smile that lights up the room,” head coach Bret Bielema said. “Montee is the kind of kid that once you give him a little bit of sugar, he’s going to keep going and going. I really think the sky is the limit for that young man.”The 5-foot-11 running back carried the ball eight times in the first half for 30 yards, but when Clay was unable to return due to a concussion, his workload increased significantly. He was unfazed, helping the Badgers continue to pound the ball on the ground in the second half as he finished with the best game of his young career with 27 carries for 115 yards and two touchdowns.Ball’s performance helped Wisconsin tally a season-high 488 yards of total offense, including 294 rushing yards, which gives the Badgers their second consecutive game over 200 yards rushing and fourth overall this season.“He stayed mentally tough,” guard John Moffitt said of Ball. “He was cool, he was calm, he was very collected, and I think that’s what you need and that’s something that he knows how to do as a freshman.”Getting a 115-yard performance from a true freshman after your starting running back (who is also the Big Ten’s leading back) goes out with a slight concussion is the perfect example of Wisconsin’s “next man in” mantra.Although he was involved in the first half with the Wisconsin game plan focusing on running the ball right at the Hoosier defense, when Ball moved into the leading role in the UW backfield the Badger offense didn’t miss a beat, though it did lose some big-play ability.“John Clay is a very talented player (and) did some great things today,” wide receiver Nick Toon said. “Montee, to come in and play as a true freshman, that’s a big testament to his athletic ability and his ability to learn the offense at the college level.”What could have made the loss of Clay worse was the addition of an injury to offensive lineman Josh Oglesby, forcing Jake Bscherer to play the remainder of the contest.Fortunately for Wisconsin, Bscherer responded as much as Ball did, providing a seamless transition for the UW offense following the injury.“Jake is a good example of another guy (saying) batter up,” Bielema said. “I thought Jake went in there and did a good job, obviously the numbers were there.”“With our O-line and the guys we have here it’s expected that if a guy goes down you’re expected to go in and play just as well,” Moffitt added. “I think he really came in and rose to the occasion.”Likewise, when asked about his performance, Ball gave all the credit to his offensive line.Although he was never guaranteed any playing time at the beginning of the year, Ball has known his role all along: to provide a backup to Clay in case of injury or a breather. He did not play early in the season for various reasons, but since he got his first touch of the season he has improved each week.Ball had played in four games before Saturday, but his role was very minor in comparison to the workload he was given when Clay went down.“It’s a load to carry, but that’s what I’m here for,” Ball said. “That’s college football and you’ve got to grow up sometime.”The Wentzville, Mo., native came of age Saturday, providing just what the Badgers needed in the game’s most crucial moments.Ball’s biggest run of the day arguably was one of his shortest. With 2:03 remaining on the clock following an Indiana timeout, he picked up three yards to move the ball inside the IU 40-yard line. More importantly, though, Ball picked up a crucial first down that allowed UW to run out the clock over the next three plays.Fittingly, he would carry the ball on each of them.“Coming into this game, I knew that I was going to get a lot more carries than I did in previous weeks,” Ball said. “I just became a man today.”
Published on October 17, 2018 at 2:41 pm Contact Billy: firstname.lastname@example.org | @Wheyen3 Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ A day after Tyus Battle was named to a preseason watch list, Oshae Brissett was named to the small forward’s equivalent. Brissett was one of 20 candidates named for the Julius Erving Award, given to the nation’s top small forward at the end of the season. Syracuse is one of five teams with players on the Jerry West Award and Erving preseason lists, along with Duke, Virginia, Kentucky and Washington.Brissett returns to his sophomore year at Syracuse after a freshman season in which he finished second on SU with 14.9 points per game. He also led the Orange with 8.8 rebounds per contest. At SU media day, Jim Boeheim spoke to Brissett’s improvements.“His shooting from the 3-point line is definitely better at this stage,” Boeheim said. “I think those are the two areas that he can improve on. I think he’s stronger. He was a very good rebounder last year. He’s improved from last year.”Four other ACC teams are represented among the 20 nominees: Duke’s Cam Reddish, North Carolina’s Nassir Little, Virginia’s De’Andre Hunter and Wake Forest’s Jaylen Hoard.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe past winners of the award in its four seasons of existence are Arizona’s Stanley Johnson (2015), Michigan State’s Denzel Valentine (2016), Villanova’s Josh Hart (2017) and Villanova’s Mikal Bridges (2018).The award winner will be announced at The College Basketball Awards in Los Angeles on April 12, 2019.Syracuse opens its regular season on Nov. 6 against Eastern Washington, after exhibitions on Oct. 25 against the College of St. Rose and Oct. 31 against Le Moyne.
Published on March 12, 2020 at 1:41 am Contact Josh: email@example.com | @Schafer_44 Facebook Twitter Google+ UPDATED: March 13, 2020 at 10:38 a.m.GREENSBORO, N.C. — It all started with a Cole Anthony mishap turned Syracuse positive. As the freshman guard battled not to lose the ball, he elbowed Bourama Sidibe in the nose. Video review pushed the foul a step further, and Sidibe sank the ensuing technical free-throw.A potential top-10 draft pick’s failure led to free throw success for a player who normally shoots just above 50% from the line. It was an improbable night in Greensboro Coliseum, one of those nights in March where the runs stack together unexpectedly and the outcome is far from what was predicted. It ended with a 81-53 Syracuse victory over North Carolina, the largest loss for the Tar Heels in the ACC Tournament.North Carolina (14-19, 6-14 Atlantic Coast), favored by 3.5 points before the game and scorer’s of 92 points in the first meeting, never found a rhythm on offense. While the Tar Heels hit on one-third of their field goal attempts, Syracuse (18-14, 10-10) pushed transition off rebounds. It led to lob passes and alley-oop finishes. Open 3-pointers and easy 2-point buckets. In a game Syracuse needed to win to keep its NCAA Tournament hopes alive, the Orange’s 15-0 run sparked by Sidibe’s foul shots built a lead too big for the Orange to fall behind again.“We got a great start and then we were able to keep up and keep going,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIt’s hard to tell what this means for Syracuse amid a hectic day of coronavirus updates around the country that included a suspension of the NBA season and an NCAA Tournament without fans. Syracuse-North Carolina was the last game in front of fans at the ACC Tournament and the rest remains unknown. If the tournament continues, Syracuse will enter a matchup with Louisville following one of its most complete performances of the year.Syracuse players said Wednesday’s performance started on the defensive end. In the first matchup against UNC, the Tar Heels sank 11 3-pointers, including seven from Anthony. On Wednesday they hit 2-of-16. Syracuse hedged out more often than it had in February and dared North Carolina to score from elsewhere. The Tar Heels couldn’t.Passes went out of bounds or into Syracuse players hands, and the Orange ran wild with the ball down the court. An Elijah Hughes intercepted pass lead to a goaltend in the first half and Quincy Guerrier second-chance points in the second half. A Brycen Goodine steal led to his own points on the fast break and so did Sidibe’s takeaway through the technical foul.“That changed the momentum,” Buddy Boeheim said of the technical foul. “Once we got to double digits we just got a string of stops and Elijah was just going to work….we just kind of rode it out and saw what they could do.”The run didn’t technically start with Sidibe, though Syracuse players attributed that moment as the moment shifter. The run that extended Syracuse’s NCAA Tournament hopes for another 24 hours started with a Quincy Guerrier offensive rebound and subsequent foul shots with 4:56 remaining in the first half. In less than five minutes, all five Syracuse players on the court contributed points and a six-point lead turned to 21.The highlight of it all was a lob pass from Joseph Girard III (8 assists) to Guerrier. Girard saw Guerrier a step in front of his defender and said he just wanted to place the ball near the rim. The pass looked open. His teammate Elijah Hughes disagreed.“No, no, no!” Girard heard behind him as the pass floated near the basket.But it worked. Guerrier flew in from the left of the basket and flushed home the score. Down the other end of the court, North Carolina took another mid-range jump shot and clanked it off the backboard and rim once more. Backup point guard Howard Washington turned to the Carolina fans heckling him from behind the bench and smiled.Washington and the rest of the players were standing up from the bench and gawking at what seemed like an unstoppable offense. Girard caught a pass in the corner and drilled a 3-pointer.He threw a giant fist pump and yelled “Let’s go!”“Sometimes we haven’t got as many stops as we should’ve or needed to be able to (run in transition),” Girard said. “But when we do it’s pretty fun…The easiest 3 is off an offensive bound or on a fast break, when guys aren’t back or guys aren’t set.”Throughout the year when Hughes propels into scoring sprees he can usually point to the shot that started it all. Against Carolina the final shot of the first half was when he knew. As the forward “found his spot” just off the elbow and faded away, he knew.He was rolling, but so was Syracuse. The night was different. It felt like in the locker room halftime, and that rang true through a second half that was nearly irrelevant following the first half cushion.“We know that we hadn’t beat them in a long time,” Hughes said, “We just kind of wanted to come out there with that kind of mindset.”CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Syracuse’s record was misstated. The Daily Orange regrets this error. Comments
Shane Ronayne’s side defeated Down 5-14 to 0-3 in their latest outing of the campaign, which was played in Ardfinnan.Tipp’s next match is against Meath.
To Russell Westbrook’s defense, here is even further proof of his previous interactions with Utah Jazz fans. In this video, @russwest44 is called a “boy” by a Jazz fan ahead of Game 4 of OKC’s first-round playoff series against Utah on April 23, 2018 at Vivint Arena. pic.twitter.com/lc6slA7fTo— Eric Woodyard (@E_Woodyard) March 13, 2019Westbrook responded, “Don’t call me boy.” When the man used the word again, Westbrook notified security.The Deseret News report did not identify the fan who has been banned, but a source told the paper, “The Jazz aren’t taking these matters lightly.” Related News Jazz owner Gail Miller addresses Russell Westbrook incident This development follows a high-profile incident Monday night when a Jazz fan, Shane Keisel, taunted Westbrook in the second quarter, allegedly saying, “Get on your knees like you’re used to.” Westbrook responded by telling Keisel and his wife, “I’ll f— you up.” The Utah Jazz have banned a second fan for “degrading and offensive” language aimed at Thunder star Russell Westbrook before a 2018 playoff game in Salt Lake City, the Deseret News reported Friday.According to the report, and video of the incident, a fan called Westbrook “boy” before the Jazz and Thunder met in Game 4 of their first-round series April 23. Jazz fan banned for life after ‘inappropriate interaction’ with Russell Westbrook The Jazz announced Tuesday they had permanently banned Keisel from Vivint Smart Home Arena. The NBA fined Westbrook $25,000 “for directing profanity and threatening language to a fan.”That incident prompted debate about the behavior of Jazz fans toward African-American players. Before Thursday’s Jazz-Timberwolves game at Vivint Smart Home Arena, Jazz owner Gail Miller addressed the crowd, saying, “This should never happen. We are not a racist community.”