Heron in Hong Kong had avian flu

first_imgNov 3, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – A dead gray heron found in Hong Kong had H5N1 avian influenza, according to news reports.A railway worker in the restricted area of Lok Ma Chau found the heron and turned it over to the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department for testing Nov 1, according to Xinhua, the Chinese government news agency, and Agence France-Presse (AFP).”The gray heron tested positive,” a government spokesman told Reuters news service today.As a precaution, the seven people who had contact with the dead bird were tracked down and found to be in good health, but they will continue to be monitored. Poultry farms within roughly a mile of where the dead heron was found have been inspected, but no unusual deaths or illnesses were found, according to a United Press International report.H5N1 avian flu was first recognized in humans in Hong Kong in 1997, when 18 people were infected and six died. Experts worry about a resurgence of avian flu in Hong Kong, which is a preferred stop for migratory birds, Reuters reported.In other developments, a laboratory and surveillance network linking China, Mongolia, North Korea, and South Korea in the fight against avian flu was announced yesterday. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is funding the project with a $400,000 grant, an AFP report said.The hope is that labs will share research and offer guidance regionally, said Sarah Kahn, a senior FAO official. “We’ve seen China has done a lot of good work in bird flu research,” she told AFP. “We hope it can provide some related staff training for other countries in East Asia.”last_img read more

Girl allegedly raped by cousin ‘raped again’ by father-in-law after giving birth

first_imgA 13-year-old girl from Denpasar, Bali, who got pregnant after being allegedly raped multiple times by her cousin and who was forced to marry him, was reportedly raped again by her father-in-law after delivering the baby.The alleged incident came to light after officials from the South Denpasar Community Health Center (Puskesmas) felt suspicious of the girl’s behavior during a health checkup. The officials then alerted authorities.The girl later told officials from Denpasar’s Integrated Care Center for the Empowerment of Women and Children (P2TP2A) that she had been raped.”After communicating with her, she admitted that she was raped by her cousin until she got pregnant. After the baby was born, she was raped by her father-in-law,” Gusti Ayu Agung Yuli Marhaeningsih, a legal advisor from the Denpasar P2TP2A, said on Friday as reported by Tribunnews.com.Marhaeni said the girl and her parents had come to the P2TP2A office for further questioning.”Her parents said that she had been raped by her cousin who lived near their house. However, they decided not to report the incident to the police, as the perpetrator had agreed to take responsibility for his action by marrying her,” she said.Read also: American wanted by FBI entered Indonesia before Interpol’s red notice: MinisterThe girl and her alleged rapist did not register their marriage, as they are both still minors.”A court order is necessary to register a child marriage. Since they did not carry out the procedures, they decided to marry unofficially,” Marhaeningsih said.She also explained that the baby was taken from the girl by other family members shortly after it was born in early 2020.Marhaeningsih said that the girl’s parents did not know what they should do about the incident, as they were unsure about legal matters. She said officials from the Denpasar P2TP2A had advised the girl’s parents to report the incident to the police as the alleged incident violated the law.”We had advised them to go to the police, but they said they were still thinking about it since the girl would be putting her husband and her father-in-law behind bars,” she said. (nal)Topics :last_img read more

Barcelona vice president tests positive for COVID-19

first_imgBarcelona vice president Jordi Cardoner has tested positive for the Covid 19 virus, according to reports from Metropoli Abierta, via Marca. The 57-year old Catalan native is reportedly the third person connected with the club to test positive in the last two weeks. Barcelona vice president Jordi Cardoner tests positive for Covid 19 Director of Medical Services Ramon Canal and club doctor Josep Antoni Gutierrez both tested positive after displaying symptoms at home. Both Gutierrez and Canal are reported to be recovering well at home, with Cardoner also recovering in isolation, and continuing to work remotely. No Barcelona players have tested positive for the infection, after La Blaugrana opted to cease all training and club activities on March 11, following updated public health advice.Advertisement Promoted Content8 Ridiculously Expensive Things Bought By Keanu ReevesWhat Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The World8 Scenes That Prove TV Has Gone Too FarTop 10 Enemies Turned Friends in TVYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeEverything You Need To Know About Asteroid ArmageddonWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?8 Surprising Ways Drones Could Be Used In The FutureHere Are The Top 10 Tiniest Mobile Phones On The Planet!Birds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemThe Funniest Prankster Grandma And Her Grandson Loading… center_img Read Also: Barcelona legend Xavi makes €1m COVID-19 donation La Liga remains suspended indefinitely, after the extension of the state of alarm in Spain at the end of March. RFEF President Luis Rubiales has confirmed no return date has been established at this stage, but negotiations are continuing between all parties. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Bacolod to put up radio station for students’ distance learning

first_imgThe Sangguniang Panlungsod passed a resolution last week urgently requesting the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to approve the Department of Education (DepEd) in Bacolod’s special permit to create and operate a radio station for the educational use of students. The radio station might only be used until the situation returns to normal. The resolution authored by Novero stated that the radio station will be used in different schedules by public elementary, high school and senior high school students. DepEd has scheduled the opening of classes on Aug. 24./PNcenter_img Councilor Renecito Novero, chairman of the Committee on Education, said the budget for the 100-watt low frequency FM radio will be taken from the LGU’s Special Education Fund. BACOLOD City – The local government unit (LGU) here will put up a radio station worth P10 million for the distance learning of students this School Year 2020-2021.last_img read more

Klopp: Liverpool ready for Premier League challenges

first_imgJurgen Klopp is confident Liverpool will have the solutions for anything that is thrown at them as they prepare to face Chelsea this weekend. After a tough opening-day examination by Leeds, the champions face a trip to big-spending Chelsea on Sunday afternoon. The club will be buoyed by the signing of Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich, but the £25m man will not be signed in time to face Frank Lampard’s men. As for Chelsea, they could have a number of their £200m of summer signings in action, with Kai Havertz and Timo Werner starting Monday’s win at Brighton. Klopp though is ready for the challenge and prepare to adapt as Liverpool aim to defend their Premier League trophy.Advertisement Loading… Promoted ContentSome Impressive And Almost Shocking Robots That ExistEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show YouThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreWhy Do So Many Digital Assistants Have Feminine Names & Voices?17 Astonishingly Beautiful Cave ChurchesThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeHere Are The Best Movies Since 1982 You Should Definitely SeeA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of Art10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The Worldcenter_img “It’s completely normal that we have to make another step because other teams will make other steps as well,” Klopp told Sky Sports News. read also:Lampard hits back at Klopp over Chelsea spending jibe “It has nothing to do with being champions, we constantly try to develop and find solutions to the new challenges before we have the problems with them. That’s how football works. “So it’s not only about changing things it’s about finding the right approach and plan again for this season.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

EPL: Man City too strong for Leicester

first_imgRelatedPosts EPL: Foxes attack Burnley EPL: Gunners survive West Ham scare EPL: Gunners gun for West Ham scalp Manchester City produced perhaps their best Premier League performance of the season to move within a point of second-placed Leicester with a 3-1 win over the Foxes at the Etihad. Goals from Riyad Mahrez, Ilkay Gundogan and Gabriel Jesus secured an important win for Pep Guardiola’s side, after Jamie Vardy’s counter-attacking goal had given the visitors the lead against the run of play. Without his number two, Mikel Arteta, after he became Arsenal’s new head coach on Friday, Guardiola made two changes to the side that had beaten Gunners in their previous league outing, with Bernardo Silva and Mahrez preferred to Phil Foden and Rodri in an attacking lineup. Brendan Rodgers, meanwhile, stuck by the bulk of the side that had seen their winning league run come to an end against Norwich last weekend, with the inclusions of Ayoze Perez and Harvey Barnes the only changes. City had the better of the opening exchanges, with Mahrez and Kevin De Bruyne particularly menacing in tandem, the latter tormenting his former side by cutting in from the right and the Belgian striking the base of the post on 14 minutes. But despite an impressive attacking start, City’s vulnerabilities on the break remained, and on 23 minutes they were ruthlessly exploited as Barnes curved a wonderful ball in behind for Vardy to race away from Fernandinho and lift cutely over Ederson. If that goal was undeserved, then a second would have been a travesty, but Vardy almost provided it, again cruising beyond a City defender – this time Nicolas Otamendi – but failing in his attempt to beat Ederson at his near post after the Brazilian this time opted to stay on his line. On the half-hour-mark, City did find their leveller, albeit with a huge stroke of fortune, as Mahrez’s low strike took a sizeable deflection off Caglar Soyuncu to take it beyond Kasper Schmeichel. And by half-time, they had the lead that their superiority merited as Ricardo Pereira’s ridiculous lunge brought down Raheem Sterling, allowing Ilkay Gundogan to stroke home from the spot. Mahrez came close to getting his second shortly after the break, guiding just wide with wonderful technique on the half-volley, but Leicester really should have equalised at the other end as Vardy swept across the face for Barnes, but the midfielder failed to apply the finishing touch from close range. And City’s dominance was finally converted into a two-goal cushion midway through the half when the outstanding De Bruyne romped past Soyuncu and squared for Jesus to tap home and score his first Etihad goal of the season.Tags: Gabriel JesusJamie VardyLeicester CityLeicester DityMikel ArtetaRiyad Mahrezlast_img read more

Allardyce: Decision cost Hammers

first_imgWest Ham manager Sam Allardyce believes his side were denied a “famous victory” over Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester United after Robin van Persie scored a late equaliser from an offside position. The Hammers had twice taken the lead courtesy of goals from Ricardo Vaz Te and Mohamed Diame. Antonio Valencia had earlier levelled for United before Van Persie’s goal. The Dutchman reacted quickest to the loose ball after Shinji Kagawa’s effort hit the post but he appeared offside, although assistant referee Harry Lennard failed to raise his flag. That decision left Allardyce deflated at the fact his side were unable to record a stand-out victory over the champions elect. “I think it is a big decision that has possibly taken the famous victory away from us,” he said. “To play as well as we did and score the types of goals we scored – when you see it is an offside goal that is bitterly disappointing. At the end of the day it is a terrific performance by the players and it is fantastic in terms of how they have played at home all season. It is another precious point against the team who are going to be the new Barclays Premier League champions.” Allardyce admitted he would have taken a draw ahead of the match but suggested in the aftermath of the result that the level of officiating was not up to scratch. He said: “I would have settled for a point before the start of the game and I’m very, very pleased by the performance of the players and I hope they can keep it up between now and the end of the season. This level of football has to be equalled by the level of the officials who are in charge of the game. “His [Lennard’s] coaches have to coach him properly and coach him into getting better (positions) – that is why they are professional these days. They need coaching on the good decisions, with a pat on the back, but also they need coaching on when they haven’t made the right call. “It is a major decision that has gone against us. In the end we have gained a point – this highlights again just how good we are here at Upton Park.” The salvaged draw for United means they are now four points away from claiming their 20th league title and Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted with the fighting qualities of his side. “We had to stand up to a lot, we went down twice but we kept going. We played like champions,” he told Sky Sports 2. “It was magnificent in terms of determination and courage to play. It’s one more game away – we’re determined to win, we don’t like losing and they showed that again.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Codere refreshes legacy brand to reflect new global identity

first_imgShare Share Mozzartbet sets sail in South America taking over Meridianbet Colombia July 22, 2020 Codere merges Italian fruit machine units forming CODWIN July 3, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles Submit Codere secures €250m credit lifeline on aggressive interest rates  July 14, 2020 Spanish legacy gambling operator Grupo Codere SA has rebranded its entire corporate identity, seeking to reflect the firm’s ongoing transition as a global gambling enterprise.Last week, Group Chief Executive Vicente Di Loreto presented Codere’s new corporate logo and tagline ‘Contigo Cambiamos el Juego’ – ‘We Change the Game with You’.Updating stakeholders and the media, Di Loreto detailed that an identity refresh was needed to convey Codere as a unified global brand and modern digital entity.“This new identity is another step towards the globalization of our group and reflects a deeper ongoing transformation of our organization” Di Loreto detailed.“We want to transmit both internally and externally the values ​​that define us as a company, which differentiate our offer and collaborate with the improvement of the social perception of the activity of the game.”Di Loreto and corporate governance highlighted the significance of the corporate rebrand, marking 40-years of Codere history.The legacy operator redesigns its logo: simplifying it with a uniformed typology, and further abandons the background use of a ‘clover trefoil symbol’.Codere Group Marketing Director Angel Fernández added: “Our new brand is more recognizable, younger, using green and grey tones. We have eliminated the clover because it is associated as an old component that does not correspond to new games. The idea is that this renewed brand is gradually the only one under which our group operates.”last_img read more

Louis van Gaal: Manchester United boss says loss down to Murphy’s law

first_imgManchester United manager Louis van Gaal put his side’s 2-1 defeat by FC Midtjylland down to Murphy’s law.Memphis Depay put the visitors ahead in the first leg of their Europa League last-32 tie, but Pione Sisto and Paul Onuachu gave the hosts victory.Van Gaal, already without 13 players, lost David de Gea during the warm-up and used an adage that means anything that can go wrong will go wrong.”It is the law of Murphy I think,” the Dutchman told BT Sport.”A lot of things are happening in the heads of the players and in the first 10 or 15 minutes we were not so good.”Van Gaal felt his side improved as the first half went on and could have scored more goals. But he added: “In the second half we didn’t win any duels, any second balls. You cannot afford a second goal, but we could have scored also.”Jesse Lingard had two remarkable chances.”‘Nothing to do with attitude’At the end of the game, United fans in the MCH Arena made it clear they were not impressed with their side’s display.Van Gaal accepted the second-half performance was not good enough, but defended the attitude of his players.”The fans can criticise,” he said. “They can do it because when you see the second half, maybe they are right. We have to improve and then the fans shall support us again. “All the players want to perform in an excellent way.”It is not a case of attitude. We were not winning the second balls – that is my analysis.”De Gea set for scanDe Gea hobbled out of the warm-up with a knee problem, but Sergio Romero proved an able deputy – making several fine saves.Van Gaal was unable to say how long his first-choice goalkeeper would be out for. He said: “We have to wait for a scan, then maybe we can say more but it was a big surprise.”last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Monday, June 17, 2013

first_imgWellington police notes for Monday, June 17, 2013•On June 5, 2013 at 11:20 a.m. officers took a report of found a cast alarm bell in the 100 block N. Washington, Wellington.•11:59 a.m. Tamberlyn J. Hendrix, 36, Wellington was arrested, charged and bonded with driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and fail to maintain single lane in the 300 block W. 8th, Wellington.•1 p.m. Officers took a report of a lost cell phone in the 600 block N. A, Wellington.•3:15 p.m. Officers took a suspicious activity report in the 200 block N. C, Wellington.•7:19 p.m. Candra L. Birran, 41, Wellington was arrested and charged with domestic violence battery in the 800 block S. H, Wellington.last_img