A plane belly-flopped onto the middle of Federal Highway in Hobe Sound with three souls on board Friday morning.Fortunatley, according to the Martin County Sheriff’s office, no one was hurt.Investigators said the plane had engine trouble and made a belly landing with no landing gear deployed.The scene is causing backups along Federal Highway and Bridge Road near Jonathan Dickinson State Park.
A 22-year-old Floridian is $800,000 richer after winning on a scratch-off lottery ticket.Kylee Davis claimed the top prize in the $1,000 A Week for Life game this week.She chose to get her winnings all at once, in a lump-sum payment of $810,000.The store owner will get a $2,000 bonus commission for selling the winning ticket.
A Florida man was charged with manslaughter for fatally beating a peeping tom who had been watching him, and his girlfriend have sex through a window.Victor Vickery was charged Thursday in connection with the July 2018 death of 57-year-old Assad Akar.The 30-year-old and his girlfriend were in bed at her house when they heard a sound, which they’ve reportedly heard before.Vickery went outside and found Akar, who had a criminal record for peeping.Shortly after, a fight ensued, and Vickery’s girlfriend called 911.Vickery told Fort Lauderdale police that he punched and kicked Akar “a few times” in response to being attacked.Akar died at the hospital later that evening.Vickery is currently in jail on a $100,000 bond.He is also charged with sexual battery in a separate incident that occurred a month after Akar’s death.
Israel responded to the committee vote by saying he will run in 2020 against the appointed Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony and will be re-elected for a third time.Acting sheriff Gregory Tony, right, speaks after being introduced by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, left, at the Broward County Sheriff’s Office Fort Lauderdale headquarters, Friday, Jan. 11, 2019, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. DeSantis suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel on Friday over his handling of February’s massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee) The Florida Senate Rules Committee voted 9-7 along party lines on Monday night to uphold Governor Ron DeSantis’ removal of Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel in the wake of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.The vote came after 10 hours of testimony from special investigators, lawyers, and the public.DeSantis suspended Israel in January for his handling of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School massacre and the 2017 mass shooting at Fort-Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.The matter now goes to a vote by the full Senate on Wednesday.
The defense team for confessed Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz insisted to the judge on Wednesday that they are not ready to go to trial in January, and said it is possible they might not participate in the proceedings.Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer responded that the trial has been a priority for all of the parties involved, and said she would maintain the current trial date.Cruz was not at the hearing, as his attorneys waived his presence. He faces 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted first-degree murder for the February 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.Defense attorney David Frankel told Scherer, “I don’t think there’s any way that we’re going to be ready for trial on January 27, or anytime near that.”Assistant Public Defender Melisa McNeill, who is also representing Cruz, explained that the defense team still has a few hundred witnesses to potentially interview. She added that her team is waiting for the Florida Supreme Court to address their appeal of one of the judge’s rulings. That issue could determine whether the defense chooses to pursue an insanity defense.Frankel says the defense may not participate in a trial, which could lead to appeal issues, if they lack sufficient time to prepare.McNeill plans to file a motion soon to move the trial date.Judge Scherer responded that the case had received special priority by everyone, including the Public Defender’s office. She continued, “Not every case has that many lawyers. You all need to do your best. Whatever you have to do, you need to get it ready.”Frankel explained after the hearing, “Believe me that we’re sensitive to the people in the community and we’re working towards just trying to get ready and get it done. What we really want to do is avoid not doing it right the first time, and forcing the community to have to go through it again a second time.”One of the factors that is expanding preparation time is the likelihood that the trial will have a second death penalty phase.The defense told Scherer again on Wednesday that their client is willing to plead guilty in exchange for receiving a life sentence.However, prosecutors remain committed to pursuing the death penalty.“This could be over tomorrow,” Frankel says. “It’s just a question of the death penalty.”Judge Scherer ordered the defense to develop a list of its potential witnesses. She set another status hearing for November 18.
On Tuesday, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released its final report on the FIU bridge collapse that left six people dead and ten others injured in Miami on March 15, 2018.NTSB officials held a hearing about the results Tuesday, where its staff of engineers and investigators presented evidence that the bridge’s “catastrophic failure” stemmed from a flawed design with “significant errors.”NTSB officials not only blamed design errors for the tragedy but also faulted “Florida International University, the Florida Department of Transportation and the project’s engineers and contractors for failing to exercise independent judgment, or even common sense, in leaving the busy road underneath the bridge open while a construction crew performed emergency work.”An NTSB official reiterated the findings of the investigation that FDOT engineers failed to listen to warnings about cracks in the bridge before the collapse.The cracks were “screaming that there was something definitely wrong with this bridge, and yet no one was listening,” said NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt.The investigation has officially come to an end, but the case may be far from over.According to The Miami Herald, the NTSB’s ruling may influence whether Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernández Rundle plans to file criminal negligence charges against the project team for its decision to treat the cracks the bridge as minor.Click here to learn more.Related content:NTSB report reveals shocking new details in deadly FIU bridge collapse
Four flight attendants were arrested at Miami International Airport Monday evening after authorities seized more than $22,000 in cash from the suspects during a routine Customs check.Miami-Dade police said the suspects did not have the proper license to transmit money.They are identified as Carlos Alberto Munoz Moyano, Maria Del Pilar Roman-Strick, Maria Wilson, and Maria Beatriz Pasten-Cuzmar.The four came to the US on a flight from Chile, and work for American Airlines.The airline is reportedly cooperating with the investigation.The suspects are being held on a $10,000 bond with an immigration hold.
One person is in custody, after police say he ran from them and carjacked a vehicle in Fort Pierce on Saturday.Officers responded to a theft call in the 2500 block of South U.S. Highway 1 at about 11:26 a.m.When they encountered the suspect, 28-year-old Michael John Ginger of Stuart, he fled on foot, carjacked an occupied vehicle, and pointed his gun at an officer.One of the officers fired his weapon in an effort to stop Ginger, but did not strike anyone.According to police, Ginger then drove the vehicle south along U.S. Highway 1, where it ended up spinning out of control and colliding with a police cruiser.The carjacking victim, who was not in the vehicle when it crashed, experienced non-life threatening injuries. She was treated and released from the hospital.Ginger is in critical condition at Lawnwood Regional Medical Center, and charges are pending against him.No officers were injured.The incident remains under investigation.
Investigators say that some of the people who drove to the park to watch the fight were adults.The 16-year-old has been charged with two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. Florida authorities have charged a 16-year-old girl with stabbing two other teens during a fight that investigators say was arranged on social media.According to reports, several carloads of people arrived at a Deltona park on Friday night to follow the conflict, which had started earlier in the day at University High School.Volusia County deputies say the girl stabbed a 17-year-old student in the hip and a 15-year-old in the chest. The girl admitted that she attacked the other teens, as the entire incident was captured on video.
A Florida woman is being hailed a hero for saving her family’s lives during a violent home invasion, Wednesday evening.Jeremy King told BN9 that his wife “evened the playing field and kept them from killing me.”Around 9 p.m., Wednesday, two masked men armed with guns broke into the Lithia family home.One of the men first grabbed the couple’s 11-year-old daughter before violently attacking the male victim, police say.King said one of the men pistol-whipped him while another kicked him repeatedly in the head during the attack.His wife, who is eight months pregnant, was in the back bedroom and peeked out to see what was going on, according to King.He said that one of the men shot then at her.She retreated, grabbed an AR-15, and returned fire, King said.Deputies later found a man identified as one of the intruders dead in a nearby ditch.The second gunman fled the scene after the fatal shot was fired and is still at large, deputies said.Detectives do not believe the attack was random and are currently investigating the relationship between the victims and suspects.The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office also noted that the AR-15 used by the pregnant female was in the family home legally.“Anyone with information is asked to call Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office at 813-247-8200.”